Foosball.com Forums

rod warp?

rod warp?
« on: January 07, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
I just bought a table and upon installing the rods and players, I noted that the players would not remain upright at rest.  I've only played few times in the past, and I never payed attention to this.  I tested the rods, by holding an unfastened player in the center and turning each rod slowly.  I noted about 1/32" travel between the player's foot and the table surface, so I figure the rods are warped.  Is this within standard tolerance? Or are my rods defective?  Thanks for any thoughts.  -- alan

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: rod warp?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 01:37:23 AM »
Hey Alan, What brand of table did you purchase? Are the men counterbalanced? If not,they will always fall down....If you roll your rods and see no obvious bends in them you are probly ok for straightness..

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
Oh, I thought I mentioned, but guess I left it out:  Halex.  I don't know if there is a special meaning to the term counterbalanced, but the  players appear to be balanced.  They do not appear to tip to either the head or feet if left free on the rod.  It would certainly be welcome news if all I needed was a new set of players.  Guess the next step is to call Halex.  Wanted the benefit of uninterested parties' thoughts before I did that.  Thanks for your help.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »
I just bought a table from Halex, and have the same problem.  I dont think the men are counterbalanced at all.  The rods dont rotate at all before I put screws in the men.  Once all the men are on the rods and screwed on, 3 or 4 of the rods rotate so the men wont sit in the down position ever. 

On cheap tables, what do they do to combat this?  Do they just put counterbalanced men on?

Will this resolve my problem?  Is this the common fix?  Or should the rods be fixed?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
One more question...are counterbalanced men used on competion/high end tables?  Or are non-counterbalanced men used so that they can be left in any position, not just down?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 05:08:44 PM »
One more question...are counterbalanced men used on competion/high end tables?  Or are non-counterbalanced men used so that they can be left in any position, not just down?

Counterbalanced men are the ones that can be left in any postion; non-counterbalanced men always swing down.

Some competition tables (including the Tornado tables used in most US competitions) use counterbalanced men.  Some competition tables (notably Bonzini) use non-counterbalanced men; Bonzini singles players often learn to shoot from goal with the left hand crossed over to hold up the forward rods.