Foosball.com Forums

putting the coin mechanism in 'free mode'

putting the coin mechanism in 'free mode'
« on: December 15, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »
Is bypassing the coin mechanism by blocking the ramp at the point where the balls enter the hopper inside table the only way to put my brown marble in free play mode or is there some way to set something on the coin mechanism such that it pushes all the way in and the balls get spit out as if someone put quarters in?

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline BillV

Re: putting the coin mechanism in 'free mode'
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:02:21 AM »
Mine came with some plastic blocks that when inserted block some quarter holes. But I was one short and found that there are some spring loaded metal fingers on the bottom side of the coin mech. I used a small plastic "zip strip" to hold the last one away from the mechanism like the coins do if fed through. I put it around the finger and around an adjacent piece of metal, pulled it up tight and cut off the excess.

I don't recall if you can do it to all of them, if you don't have the plastic blocks, but I don't know why not.

Bill V

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
I believe the "plastic blocks" that you speak of are the ESD Coin-op black slot plugs that are like $1 each.  Jim carries them (although they are not listed on his site yet) and Charles carries them as well.  Zip tying down the coin mech metal fingers works too, but IMHO it doesn't look quite as nice and for a few dollars it's not worth it, but to each their own.

If anyone is interested I have a used and new ESD V-5 Coin-op mech for sale...either will come with enough black slot plugs for free play or enough metal coin slots for $1.25, and everything in between.

Offline BillV

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
Yep, that's what I'm talking about.

If I had enough blocks I would have put them in and then it would have filled in all the slots and not looked like you could still put quarters in.

On the other hand, the zip ties are hidden inside the table and once you figure out how to install them it is easier than installing the plastic blocks. No need to partially disassemble the coin mech with possible jumping springs. Really, if you are the least bit mechanically inclined it is super easy either way.

BillV