Foosball.com Forums

playing surface delaminating

playing surface delaminating
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

The playing surface of my cyclone 2 (non coin op) is delaminating in both goal boxes. This is causing  a significant bubble in front of each goaltender. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it?  Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline crazy8

Re: playing surface delaminating
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
I have tried two 'tips':

1)  Use a heat-gun to re-melt the glue beneath the surface.  Use a really heavy, flat object to press the surface into place.
2)  Use a hypodermic needle to squirt new glue under the surface.  Use a really heavy, flat object to press the surface into place.

Neither works for any length of time.

New surfaces are available ($250 at foosball.com).  If you choose this route, please post your results; I would be interrested in hearing about the steps you went through.  Looking at the table it doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult.

Best of luck...
Paul

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
I tried the heat/weight process out.  I used a blow drier to get the surface good and hot then put a large book and thirty pounds of dumbbell weights on top of it for 24 hours.  I took them off last night and it was quite a bit better.  It was clear that some parts didn't get hot enough but most of it was stuck back to the surface below.

But I checked again this morning and now it's back to delaminated just like it was before, so that didn't last long. 

I think the only option is to replace the surface.  Doh!  At least then it will be like a brand new table.  My friend called Tornado and they recommended contact cement.  I hope it works better than what's on there now...

I'll take pictures and document the playing surface replacement process on this forum.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
But I checked again this morning and now it's back to delaminated just like it was before, so that didn't last long

must have not shot enough glue under there ,could add more??? no ?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
But I checked again this morning and now it's back to delaminated just like it was before, so that didn't last long

must have not shot enough glue under there ,could add more??? no ?
;
Yeah... what glue were you using?  Liquid Nails like they have at Lowe's or Home Depot?

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »
It looks like he didn't add any glue, he just reheated the surface to reuse the glue already present.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
That's right, I didn't inject glue. I was thinking about trying that but I was a bit wary of making any kind of hole in the playing surface.  Still deciding what to do next.  Did some research and found that replacing the surface is quite a task, but if done correctly I'd have a practically new table.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Now that I'm thinking about it, i might as well inject some glue. What do I have to loose anyway? 

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
Now that I'm thinking about it, i might as well inject some glue. What do I have to loose anyway? 
;
Yeah, you said it... So ... go get a grip ! LOLOLOL!
;
and stick to it!

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
i wonder if heating up the end where the goal is and carefully lifting up the laminate and inject glue under it ,then put the bricks on top ,etc
or something heavy enough to press it down to dry ,but i'd rather an expert weigh in on what type of glue to use

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »
Hi I am new to the forums and I saw this thread.  I am experiencing the same problem with my Cyclone II.  My problem seems to have extended beyond the goal box and across pretty much 1/4 of the table.  Most of the table's surface is fine but the one end has delaminated enough to cause the ball to not roll true or straight. this makes the table virtually unplayable.

I was thinking of trying the heat gun method and the glue injection method here but I am looking for a more permanent fix.  Let me add the playing surface itself is in perfect condition as is the table overall.  its just this delaminating problem I
m dealing with.  Does anyone know if the playing surface can be re-used and the entire thing be re-glued down?  And if so, does anyone have tips or instructions on how to do it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just got the table and I'm dying to play on it!

Jason

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
I never tried the glue injection process because the bubble suddenly got real bad.  I figured it was fubar, but now since we've had very low relative humidity lately the bubble caused by the delamination has decreased to the point where my table is actually playable again.  The problem will no doubt return after the weather changes though.

I looked into a complete playing surface replacement and found a place (http://www.tornadofoosball.com/) that sells them with the playing surface and particle board pre-assembled, made to order from the Tornado factory.  They cost $150 plus shipping (quite heavy).  The guy I talked to said it's quite a project to change it out, but doable and he's done it many times.  The non coin op tables are harder because you have to remove the entire ball return system and there's a lot of staples down there. 

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 01:36:28 AM »
Hey Ryanderson,

Thanks for your input.  I doubt I will have have the same luck you did as I am in Arizona where the humidity is generally low year round.  I also placed a call to the factory today and left a message for a couple of people.  I assume I will get the same response you did.  I looked under the table and sure enough there are quite a few staples but otherwise the construction is relatively simple with maybe a dozen or so screws to remove in order to lift the playing surface out.

I think I will remove the playing surface and attempt to make a permanent repair by seeing if I can remove the laminate completely from the particle board cleaning all of the existing adhesive off and re-gluing it down.  I'm hoping that purchasing a new playing surface will be my last resort. And if my attempt at repair goes awry and renders my surface fubar then at least the old surface is out of the table and the new one can just be installed. I figure what have I got to lose if I mess it up I'll already have half the work done of replacing it. 

I plan to video or photo document my attempt at this repair and if successful I can share it with you and anyone else that may run into this problem.  Hopefully yours remains self-healed.

Thanks again.

J

Offline crazy8

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »
Just saw this...
Playfield
$150.00
Playfield - only. (This is just the playfield, the flat playing surface only.)
**2 Field Strips Required, not included.
Specify table model in ordering instructions.
Playfields are ordered directly from the factory; production time is 1-4 weeks.
Additional freight charges apply due to weight (70 pounds, specially crated.) IMPORTANT NOTE: The factory is not able to make the playfields for ANY foosball table, EXCEPT for coin-operated models, manufactured in 1999 or before.

I didn't know the Coin-op and Cyclone II tables had different surfaces.  Can anyone add to this.  As posted earlier - I'm also considering changing the surface on a Cyclone II.

Paul

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
Even between the different versions of the coinops, the playfields were different. I can't comment on this precisely, but they were manufactured by different companies, using different materials.