Foosball.com Forums

Foosball: is it a sport?

Foosball: is it a sport?
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:04:15 AM »
A college student name Feebee is addicted to Foosball.  She wants to create a club so that playing can be more structured and people will definitely have a chance to practice and get good.  Problem is, she doesn't know if foosball is really classified as a sport and therefore she is not sure which club office to send her foosball application to.  What do you think?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
Re: Foosball: is it a sport?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
A college student name Feebee is addicted to Foosball.  She wants to create a club so that playing can be more structured and people will definitely have a chance to practice and get good.  Problem is, she doesn't know if foosball is really classified as a sport and therefore she is not sure which club office to send her foosball application to.  What do you think?

Went through this twice in my engineering days in Iowa and my compsci days in Philadelphia.  I filed for club status with membership standards and by-laws for both foosball and chess.  One school had the clubs under indoor hobbies & games, so they were equal to glee club, gardening, and table tennis.  The other school org made no distinction putting hockey, soccer, and swimming clubs in with table tennis, contract bridge, checkers and badminton.

It really depends on the school.  But usually a foosball club will go in under whatever chess and music and debate clubs go under.  Sometimes there is a hard distinction between sports, hobbies and games that require more of an investment in room, scheduling and funding vs the simpler ones that needed just a room and some tables.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:16 AM »
Nope, it's a fine skill game to me. Same as darts an pool with more dynamic movement.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:15:04 AM by Snake Shot Blows »

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
Yes, i guess.... i just want to know if foosball would be included in the club sports category??

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »
Nope, it's a fine skill game to me. Same as darts an pool with more dynamic movement.

Gosh, I read that too fast!  I thought you said:

Nosepicking is a fine skill game to me.  Same as farting in the pool, with more dynamic movement.

:D :D :D 8)

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »
Yes, i guess.... i just want to know if foosball would be included in the club sports category??

Hey there, NCS-wolf-sec..

Yep, it definitely is a club game... in most accredited colleges and universities.

Not like nosepickin' or pool-fartin'... those would be in the Greek games categories, I believe..

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »
Friends,

I just voted 'yes' to foos being a sport, but that is because I am an eternal optimist. When I look at the threads on Phil's board and read how top players like Spre and Gummy sing praises after traveling to France to compete for Team USA, for NO PRIZE MONEY but to represent and help further the image of foosball, saying it was the best experience in their playing careers, and with huge audiences - that is a sport, IMHO. But when I see situations when there is more back and forth bashing after an event than there ever was in propping up the event before hand, I can see water seeking it's own level and foosball being nothing more than a silly bar game.

I will remain the optimist...................................Tyler

Offline Tyler Foos

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »
Friends,

For grins, I decided to consult Webster, namely the New Webster's Expanded Dictionary, 1992 edition. Under 'sport' it says simply 'a game'. So I looked up 'game' and it says 'sport of any kind: exercise for amusement, testing skill, etc. ...to play for a stake or prize'.

Is foosball a sport or a game? YES!

Tyler

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
Friends,
For grins, I decided to consult Webster, namely the New Webster's Expanded Dictionary, 1992 edition. Under 'sport' it says simply 'a game'. So I looked up 'game' and it says 'sport of any kind: exercise for amusement, testing skill, etc. ...to play for a stake or prize'.
Is foosball a sport or a game? YES!   Tyler 

Many great thinkers, philosophers and visionaries, even the legendary ones, regard life as, not quite so simply this time: A GAME.  And it behooves one to make this game as all-consuming a hobby as anything else - live it to the fullest and try to have fun doing it.

And just like life, pinball, and marriage, in foosball you play, achieve your goals & score points, or YA LOOZE YER BALLZ...    ;D 8) ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:07:29 PM by foozkillah »

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
Incorrect; if you score points, you give the balls to the other forward!

Offline Tyler Foos

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »
Hunters are referred to as 'sportsmen'. I personally don't think a fat redneck with a gun in a tree is a 'sport', especially when they are shooting 'game'...LOL

Tyler

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

Hunters are referred to as 'sportsmen'. I personally don't think a fat redneck with a gun in a tree is a 'sport', especially when they are shooting 'game'...LOL

Tyler

Gosh, I read that too fast!  I thought you said:

Nosepicking is a fine skill game to me.  Same as farting in the pool, with more dynamic movement.

I know it's and old thread, but it made me laugh a lot hahaha   :D Thank you :P

Offline shift

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
Hi from Australia.... We all love the game... That's why we're here...
Whether you think it's a sport or not... For the sake of the game, internationally... Sport is e way to go!
So let's cut the debate and just call it a sport

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »
Raising the dead with this reply here.

Here's my 2cents though: If Call of Duty, Starcraft, and Counterstrike can be considered "e-sports", then foosball is most definitely a sport.