Foosball.com Forums

PLATINUM EDITION TABLE

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: PLATINUM EDITION TABLE
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »
oh, one more super important note...there are still warped surfaces mixed in with these tables so if you are buying a new table, anyone, from anyone, you need to make sure they guarantee it is level BEFORE they ship it…this means they need to check it and I would insist that you get it in writing that if you don’t get a level playing surface that they will pay shipping both ways on the table until you get one that is right…this way you can be sure they will ship it right the first time

no idea when this will be addressed permanently but it is a very important element to buying a late model T2000 or the current T3000

I haven’t played with the new men or side-strips but I have played on the T2000 without those and it plays super good…when it is level…when it isn’t, it is very frustrating

The men and side strips will only enhance the quality of play I am certain

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »
I am amazed that Tornado is still selling there premium table with warped playing fields,this casts a really bad light on the company and cant belive they have not addressed this concern.If I purchased a new table from Tornado it could still have a warped field.May be I should buy a Warrior table for half the price.No wonder Tornado are having problems with quality issues like that.How can you tell the Merkel rods from the others.Rob

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
The cost of the table was $1550 canadian and $145 shipping. I am sure the new table will be more but he does not have the price yet.He thinks it will not be much more.My email address is robdarla@hotmail.com Iwant the new table to have all the latest specs.It seems crazy to spend money on a brand new table and then have to modify it.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
okay Rob, don't fret my friend...you are right and Tornado has some issues but none that can't be addressed...with all its issues, it is still the best made table in the world

I totally love playing on Warrior, but it isn't half as well built, as Tornado...it may be some day but not now and not for a while and so right now I can not reccomend it with a good conscience

you can get them to guarantee the surface...Tornado is standing behind any complaints and replacing the surface but rather than have to do that, just make sure the table is checked and guaranteed BEFORE it ships and get it in writing

if you go with Charles I can help with this

now, your Canada pricing comes out better than Charles' on the current T2000 model compared to Charles' T3000...I mean $1500 Canadian is $1200 US and of course your shipping is much less

so, timing is the key, if you want to wait for what I call the "Full Meal Deal" that your distributor says he can get, then fine but I would make sure you had all kinds of guarantees before agreeing to that - especially if they are saying they would have it drop shipped direct to you...at that point I would question if the surface has been checked

its just me but I think they should check every table and not ship any tables unless they are right but I am not corporate and am not struggling in the current business climate

let me know if I can help
backpinrules@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:21:12 PM by bbtuna »

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
Sorry about my little rant there,I was talking crazy,but it is frustrating,I just sold my marble table so I have no table at the moment.I will probably wait a while but I would be interested in dealing with your buddy if he can guarantee the table I want.He is very knowledgeble about Tornado tables.Like I said money is not the main issue ,thanks for taking time out to help me,it is much appreciated

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
i bought my table in november from south carolina. it was from the worlds in las vegas. i am getting a free update kit. it had some minor scratches and i saved an extra 150.00. the total price was 1300 including shipping. the guy i bought it from said it was identical to the platinum edition once the update kit was installed. it is in excellent condition with no issues.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »
Rob,

that price on a new table isn't a normal permanent price so if you want to take advantage of it I think now is the time...this sounds like a sales push and I really hate that sort of thing so I want you to know it that is NOT what it is...I am for you getting what you want when you want it, I mean more I wasn't publishing a permanent price for him....I really don't know, except that he was pricing it like that to help you make a decision...doesn't mean he wouldn't again and you have said money isn't that big a deal so it may be nothing but I wanted to be fair to him and you

i am going to pull that price off the thread because it really shouldn't be "published" I have found out since I put it up

I am not sure there is an advantage for you to wait because there is no indication of when the surface issue will be permanently resolved

as bubbyman said if you get a level table, it is all rockem sockem...I have a buddy with a Fridge late Model T2000 which has a perfect surface and it is a really nice table and we play one that is even a later run at our local pub which is super minus the surface which Tornado has already agreed to replace

too much to discuss via threads alone so lets hook up via email and phone when you are ready to buy, I will help you as I can including talking to Charles' about details

tuna

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
Tuna I will give you a call.I guess I am ready to buy as soon as I can be sure I am going to get exactly what I want.A straight table with all the new updates including the clear side strips in a Platinum Tour Edition which is a coin op,you would not think it would be that difficult to spend $2000 would you.The guy I am dealing with in Toronto is away for a week so I will give him a call then.He has been fair with me so I should touch base with him befor I decide to shop with Charles.ps how can you tell the merkel rods apart from the standed heat treated ones they install now, and is merkel the name of the american company that manafactures them,are they going to make more thanks Rob

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
Merkel is the person's last name who makes them...just a fooser...there is a dot at the handle end of the rod, well, like a divit...I will get you more detail tomorrow...he is not making them any more because he does it on the side and can't afford to do without a large number of them to justify...

here is what he says about the cost and process...

I can only do so much with the rod price. The raw tube is $2.63 per foot & plating each rod is $3.50. If you do the math I'm already at $14.02 & these are just the costs I can't control. I still have to straighten, strengthen, cut it, drill it, run it through a centerless grinder 3 times. Then I have to freight them to the plating co and back and then polish and inspect.
I'm giving these away at $20.00 to $23.00 just to try and make the deal.
It's hard to compete when your Chinese competitor can sell a finished rod for less then what I can buy the raw material for.

Offline Will17

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »
do you have merkels email address tuna?

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »
So he used to make these in a high volume for Tornado,or just on an individual basis as people needed.Would be interesting to find out how many orders he needs to make it viable for him to manafacture a batch

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
he made them for Tornado then Tornado dropped him for a imported version which is better than their old rod but nothing as good as his...he goes on in this same post to say he could cut costs but that means and inferior product

warrior has been toying with using them and if they do, they will become available again but that is up in the air right now because it would add a serious price increase to the Warrior table

i have played on the warrior with Merkel rods and it is smooth, light, and very fast and it seems like most players want them but that doesn't mean they would actually pay the $200 increase...I mean, people won't pay full price for them the way it is - arguement would be they might with the improved rods but I don't think so unless they address the other build quality issues, I think the players will continue to win them and buy tables that have been won

i do not have Merkels address but you might be able to get it from the other forum but he has been asked a number of times about making them apart form T or W using them and he says he can't afford to do it

Charles McIntosh can still get the 2 bar and 5 bar left over from previous production and you could do that and then get the new imported heat-treated for your 3 rod

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:11 AM »
I am told Tor has a ton of them still in stock even after more than 1 1/2 years of not ordering them but they are mixed with the new ones - I think I heard the number was somewhere near 11k

anyway, if you decide to order them you will need to talk to Charles personally so he can hand pick them otherwise you will just get the random selection which may or may not be Merkel

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »
I was wondering what charles would charge me for a new table when they are released and have him install a complete set of merkel rods.That would be like the Holy Grail of foosball tables.Do you think  that would be something he would be interested in doing and how much would he charge.He could e mail me with a price or I could phone him.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
only 2 rod and 5 rod are available with Merkel right now and he occasionally runs accross a goalie but he hasn't seen a 3 rod in a very long time

so, i would imagine he would be willing to change the 2 and 5 rod out but that would mean taking all the men off and replacing them and I have no idea what he would charge for that...how much would you charge if the shoe was on the other foot?

might be cheaper just to buy the rods and make the change yourself and have the others as back ups

I don't know how long you are willing to wait, but if you are planning on March time-frame I will not believe Tornado is shipping the 100% changed model (not including ramps of course) until after it is confirmed by multiple sources - this table was supposed to be out last year and should have already been shipping this year several times but it isn't out yet...it is just like the "kits" lots of smoke and no fire