Foosball.com Forums

Newbie question: 1 Goalie vs. 3

Offline fis

Re: Newbie question: 1 Goalie vs. 3
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
Thanks again.  I know in one of the photos the rods look rusty but in the others they don't.  I've asked the seller a follow up question about the condition of those rods.  The table's several hours from here so I can't just drive over for a look.

Offline fis

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »
Well this seller is nothing if not responsive.  I asked some more detailed questions about the condition and got a bunch of new close-up photos of the rods (now uploaded to the same link) along with this explanation:
I took some more pictures, trying to get close ups of the areas you are concerned with... the marks on the laminate near the yellow goalies is actually really old scotch tape.  I scraped most of it off with my thumbnail and tomorrow I'll try to get the rest of it up, but there is no damage to the actual laminate.  The rods did have some minor surface rust between the men when we first got the table - (not on the actual part that runs through the bearings in the side of the table).  I buffed the rust and polished the bars and when you touch them, they are smooth, but there are some cosmetic blemishes on some of the rods.

As far as the condition, this is not a new, pristine table.  It's been used in a bar and then in my home, so it does have a couple of "dings" on the outside and a couple on the bottom of the legs (I think you can see them in the pictures, but I can take close ups of them if you want) and some minor cosmetic blemishes.  It plays fantastic and is in good condition!  If you're looking for a table that sparkles in a brand new game room, then this might not be the table for you, but if you want a great working table that's a little worn, then this is it.

I hope this helps you decide and if you have any other questions or would like more pictures ( I can probably get better ones in the day light tomorrow) please don't hesitate to ask. 

Offline fis

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
OMG OMG this just popped up tonight on Craigslist (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tag/2145803859.html) and it's 10 minutes from my house.  A miracle of timing.  I have an appointment to see it at 8:00am and I'm bringing cash.  Wish me luck!

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 01:56:27 AM »
Newbie looking for buying advice:  I am considering getting a foosball table for our basement, and while I doubt anybody in the family will ever become a tournament player, I do want to buy something that will provide durability and high-quality play for some time, and with luck have some resale value someday.  I have no aversion to buying used. 

Other than that, my only criteria are:
1) Wife wants a wood finish
2) 15-year-old son insists on a model with one goalie -- not three.  Apparently he's played on some different tables at school and finds defense too easy with three goalies.

Having searched this wonderful forum, I see lots of advice on models to buy -- most I've looked up with the exception of the Bonzini models show three goalies.

Or are they all customizable or do some one one goalie and some have three?  I really have no idea.  If it's the latter, what are the pros/cons of each?

Let's see here:

Bonzini has the real and natural wood finish your wife request.
Bonzini has the 1-man goalie which 95% of the world plays on.
Bonzini can customize the player figurine to your specifications.
Bonzini has not changed their table design in the past 60 years. So you don't have to worry about upgrading.
Bonzini has telescopic rods so you do not have to worry about kids "spearing" each other.
And it's the only foosball table that has actually appreciated in value over the past 10 years.

Pretty much meets all of your criteria.

Yes, they are expensive. But sometimes you can find some really great deals. I picked a mint condition B-90 up in DC for $500 last month. It values out at around $1,600.

And I do own a Garlando, Tornado, Eurosoccer, and several Bonzini tables :D

Good luck in your search

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 07:48:46 AM »
Fis---Get on that Blonde Coin-Op!!!!! $150.00 is a steal!! This one looks to be in even better shape than the other one.. Hell the rods and the men are worth that! Just an F/Y/I  you can take the top off of it to transport, open the table up and slide it off the hinges and if you have to unbolt the legs to make it more compact. GREAT DEAL. Let us know when you get it set in your place and we will give you some pointers on tuning it.

Snake

Offline fis

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »
Fis---Get on that Blonde Coin-Op!!!!! $150.00 is a steal!! This one looks to be in even better shape than the other one.. Hell the rods and the men are worth that! Just an F/Y/I  you can take the top off of it to transport, open the table up and slide it off the hinges and if you have to unbolt the legs to make it more compact. GREAT DEAL. Let us know when you get it set in your place and we will give you some pointers on tuning it.
Snake, thanks so much.  This is EXACTLY the next question I had -- i.e., how to transport it.  I'm feeling pretty lucky right now.  I just paid for this table.  Aside from a big chip in one exterior corner, it appears to be in great condition.  It was in an apartment building game room and the counter reads just 206 !  Apparently kids liked to put billiard balls down the goals, and you can see the minor dings from that inside, but I'm not complaining.  Heck, there are probably $50 worth of quarters inside and I get those too.

My question: How to move it.  I have to get it up a flight of stairs and through a normal-sized door to get it out of there, then I'm going to be transporting it in a minivan.  I was thinking I had to remove the legs.  Removing the hinges looked quite precarious, and removing the rods and men looked like a lot of work.  You're saying it can just slide off the hinges without removing them?  That would be beyond wonderful. 

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 09:47:15 AM »
Buy that table for $150 and RUN out the door. You will not just be getting a steal. But if you ever need to you can sell it and make money! Worry about the trasport later! LOL!

The table comes apart pretty easy. The legs come off, and the top splits in half. I could not find a video of it online. But it should not be hard for you!

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »
I just bought a grey marble coin op, and yes you can just slide the top of the hinges.  No tools necessary, just open it up and slide it off. 

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
Basically, it breaks down in thirds.  The top, the base, and the legs(counting the 4 of them as one unit)  You should have a helper available.

Tilt the playfield at a 90 degree angle to the base.  Get one person on each end and it will slide right off the hinges.  You'll see how the pins on half the hinge fit into the other half.  Take a socket wrench (7/16 I think) and remove the legs.  Just remember to not overtighten when you reinstall the legs.

And a $50 rebate to boot?  Good grief, what a deal!

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
Wow $150 thats a freakin steal. Buy Buy Buy ASAP

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »

I am freaking out for you...you were in the perfect place at the perfect time!!!

The hinge itself does not come off...you need to take the capnut off and open the top and slide it out...you will need two strong people on this one.

The legs are real easy.

I must have missed seeing the foos table cause that link is only to a poker table which is also a pretty good freakin deal!

Offline fis

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:52 PM »

I am freaking out for you...you were in the perfect place at the perfect time!!!

The hinge itself does not come off...you need to take the capnut off and open the top and slide it out...you will need two strong people on this one.

The legs are real easy.

I must have missed seeing the foos table cause that link is only to a poker table which is also a pretty good freakin deal!
LOL yes.  I am honestly relieved to see that they removed the foosball table from the listing because even though I paid for it already I don't pick it up until tomorrow morning and, well, I don't want them to change their mind!  Yes right place right time.  I barely know what I'm doing but have learned enough to recognize from the photo that it was a Tornado Coin Op -- and blond wood is what I really wanted!  It's in an apartment complex game room -- they are preparing to remodel and the owner told the leasing manager to just clear out everything.  The leasing manager has no idea what it's worth and doesn't really seem to care.  There's also a beat up pool table, and that poker table was in horrible shape, but the Tornado (and a huge shuffleboard table I wish I had room for) are pretty pristine.  Only 206 plays!  Manual and spare man were inside, as were a whole bunch of balls, and even a coin box still full of quarters. 

I borrowed a long socket set because it appears I'll need that to remove the legs (the bolts are a deep reach).  Will have it home tomorrow, then somebody can tell me how to set it to free play.  Woot!

Offline fis

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
Mission accomplished! 
Thanks for everybody's advice.

Here it is.  Cleaned the interior and reassembled -- now onto the exterior. Needs a serious scrubbing.

2 questions:
1) I need to put something under the legs to protect hardwood floors.  Any specific advice other than felt pads?  Legs are so big I'll probably have to cut some custom pads.
2) How do you set it on free play?

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
Wow that table looks great...good job.

I would use simple Green to clean everything up, I can't stand the smell though BLAHHH!!!

Just buy these round footpads and you should be all set:

http://foosdirect-store.stores.yahoo.net/tablefootpads.html

There are a few ways to set the table on free play...I like the more expensive option of filling up the ESD coin mech with the black plastic blanks...this allows you to push in the coin-mech and hear the balls drop, just like in the arcades.  There maybe some blanks in your ESD, depending on which ESD model you have.  Basically there is an ESD-4, ESD-5, ESD-6 and so on...the number reflects the total number of slots you have.  Tornado's usually have an ESD-5, which allows 5 quarter slots...and you can even have dollar coin slots.  The blank slots are like $1 a piece, and you can get them on this foosball site or through here:

http://tornadofoosb.powweb.com/store/page16.html

You may even have some blanks in your ESD-5 coin mech and not know it.  There are some screws holding it in place, take those out and then take out the coin mechanism.  Once you have it out you will see in the back that there is like a spare parts bank in there...actually rather than explain it, just take a look at this tutorial:

http://www.tornadofoosball.com/ESDChuteHowto.pdf

Other than those who got a free table from family members, or winning them at tourney's...I have to say yours is probably the best deal I have ever heard of.

You've got to let us know how much money was in the coin bank...LOL!

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
Fis-->>>SNAP<< I think your scored the best deal of the year here!! (206) on the counter???? Inside looks to be in GREAT condition and so does the Inside. Ok so here goes with the free play setting,,,you can buy slugs from a vendor or maybe even here on foosball.com. all they do is sit in the coin slot where the quarters go. You do have to open the table up to disingage the top slide to get these in but you will figure it out. Also they sell leg boots on the this site or you can make your own pads, I made mine out of old bar mats cut down to size. DO NOT use felt or every time you launch a pull shot the table will move and it will piss you off..Congrats thats a really nice looking blonde, maybe the best shape one I have seen. Be prepared for life long addiction, the better you get the more you need to get a fix to play..

Snake