Foosball.com Forums

Which shooting style is better? Palm or wrist?

Offline Rios

Re: Which shooting style is better? Palm or wrist?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »
I actually talked to Tony Spredeman about this once. He explained it pretty good.

Step up to the table like you are going to throw a punch, or get into a boxers stance. That way your hips are out of the way when you bring your arm through for a pull snake or a pull

that is the best way to explain it without physically being there...

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 01:06:23 AM »
Tony Vogel from St Louis has a wicked blistering openhanded palm roll pullkick. You may know him from playing at Tulsa events with Brian Shell.

Offline foosinaround69

• No garder snakeshot here, just the AnacondaBackpin
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:49 AM »
There's is a guy Tim miller  who does the fastest and hardest open hand pull kick I have ever seen... and accurate...wow!!!! Mike Stahl does too..

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 01:49:17 AM »
gcp

Stance?? Good question!!! Personally again it is about what is comfortable to you and what shot you shoot. Not standing toostraight up and not too far down. Keep on adjusting your stance with different shots to see what works for you,then stick to it. There is no exact science because everyone is different. Tall, short and so on...Just get a good base keep your arms loose and get the feel you need for your shot. If I suggest my stance it might not work for you or anyone else for that matter. So do what is good for you. But if something isn't working, switch it up until you find it. That is how I did it. And when I switch it now I can't shoot right...lol...Good luck!!!! 8)

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
ive read that you want to be in a position that is stable.....If i were to tie a rope around your waist and pull from the side it wouldn't pull you over or throw you off......so much of the power comes from your hips....As in any other sport balance is key.....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:29:15 AM by chance37 »

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »
Let's not forget finesse. That palm shot feels good when you hammer it and you might imagine the place going quiet at the sound of it slamming the goal, but how sweet to follow it with a 'touch' back angle wrist shot that completely throws the goalie for a loop. Stay flexible,,,,

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 04:19:37 AM »
great thread

Offline gcp

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 07:02:34 AM »
foosinaround and chance, thank you.

Truth is when I learned this game in Greece, 35 years ago, no one told us how to do what and why. Hours over the tables made us instinctive players. But as an engineer I like to analyze things for possible improvement. Now I'm afraid I'm too old to learn new foos tricks so I'll probably continue to be nothing more than an instinctive player. Truth is my stance question had more to do with eventual back pain then anything else. But I guess I should be discussing my pains with my doctor... :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:04:23 AM by gcp »

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »
OM

You r so right !!!! I love nothing more to have a goalie who starts to leave me a middle thinking I'm going to do another lightning fast pull side or push and I finesse it in the middle.(with wrist) The last state championship, I did just that most of the day. It was a thing to see goalies get so frustrated with not knowing what I was going to do!
It's like football, the run opens the pass and the pass opens the run!

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »
F69, It sounds like we play a similar game. When you make that back cut through the middle, nothing is sweeter than to see the furrowed eyebrows of the goalie, lol. Then you get to hit him hard with something again just to drive the point home. ;D

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »
oh yah!!! :D  Did it against a pro-master team that was supposed to beat us and they were stunned from the sweet dink middle brush...man that was sweeeeet...and we won. :o I must of done that shot about 7-8 times in that match. Course the deadman pull side did open it up >:( 8)  It happens to angle alot too!!  :-\
Om, where r u from?? do you  go to local regionals??
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:04:36 PM by foosinaround69 »

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »
F69, I grew up in northern Wisconsin but have lived in Oregon since '79. As far as where I play, that is a problem in that I haven't been into the bar scene for quite a while so my play is limited to home for now. I watch the styles and shots on Youtube and  work on those things that these Tornado tables have changed from the FS tables. When a decent tournament comes around I want to be ready. I've heard of a few locations around and one within 40 miles so maybe I'll drop in and test the waters on the local talent. My wife has surprised me by getting her game back much more easily than I. When we first moved to Oregon we went to  the local tournament and we skunked the first team we played. They were fast to react to my pins and reversals but she plays the off speed game and picked them apart from in back, every point! It turns out that they had won every tournament in the area for the past few months and were also bad sports about it. We never did make friends with those guys. ;D Right now I'm working on the snake. Oh how I hate following the crowd but this is neccesary I guess. Foos is different nowadays, to be sure, but a person has to grow. I quit playing in '82 and bought a table a few months ago, so that's where I'm at. I feel my game is around 80%. I have good days but still need some time just getting used to how touchy the handling is. I want to pin too hard on catches and that is really frustrating as the ball squirts away and I did alot of shots that I circled the ball with touches but these men seem longer and that makes that move hard and dangerous. But I've noticed that tic tac shots and passing is alot easier. My 5 bar is almost as good as it ever was. Where you from F69?

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:24 AM »
OM

I'm from Michigan. Funny thing is last night I used my backpin dink brush to perfection. I'm slammin em home all night, no dinks, and match point came...they switched after I called time out...he left me the middle so wide I couldn't resist...game over. :'( >:( Afterward a few people said they certainly weren't expecting that...but hey the guy who switched to goalie was blocking me all night, so I had to do something different..huh? Too much fun.  I love this game :D

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 08:02:15 AM »
Sweet!

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »
My mistake. I am guessing Merlin Armot is from Iowa also...Frank Belachea shoot a push kick but not sure if it's open or closed.